Lost Filling or Crown
A lost filling or crown happens most while eating or while chewing gum. Losing a filling or crown can cause the tooth to become sensitive and vulnerable. Usually, decay beneath the crown or filling causes it to become loose or fall out. The cavity changes the shape of the tooth which can compromise the fit of the filling or crown. If your dentist doesn’t treat it, the tooth can become even more sensitive or infected as debris and bacteria come in contact with it. Surrounding teeth can also shift if a crown is out of the mouth for too long.
Here are the steps you can take if a filling or crown becomes loose or falls out:
- First, call our office or our emergency dentist number (if it’s after hours) if you have lost a filling or crown and are in severe pain.
- If you are not in a significant amount of pain, call our office so we can get you an appointment at your convenience.
- If you lose a crown, be sure to clean it well and keep it in a safe place because it may be able to be cemented back on your tooth. This will depend on the condition of the tooth.
- Most local pharmacies carry a temporary dental cement. You can be use this or toothpaste to affix the crown temporarily back in place while you await your appointment. DO NOT use glue or any other type of non-dental material to put the crown back on.
- If you a lost filling, you can place clove oil on the tooth (avoid your gums) to help relieve sensitivity.
For a lost filling, the emergency dentist will evaluate the tooth to determine the cause. The dentist will then either place a new filling or go over other recommended treatment. Your dentist will try to recement the tooth if the supporting tooth is not decayed or futher broken.
We will remove any decay first, then place a new filling or crown. Your Nebraska family dentist may need to perform a root canal first if the decay is too extensive or deep. At Northstar, we offer cheap cavity fillings for emergency patients.
Northstar Dental is a proud member of Nebraska Family Dentistry. We’re one of multiple NFD locations, some of which are even open on weeknights and weekends for your convenience.
Each NFD team member is trained to go above and beyond to keep our patients calm and comfortable, so you can expect the same exceptional care from all of our sister locations.
Note: The average cost of a crown Lincoln, NE dentists offer is high. Check out Lincoln Dental Plans to learn about how you can get affordable dental care.
Nebraska Family Dentistry has multiple locations!
Choose any location convenient for you.
Follow our social media outlets for discount specials and dental wellness news.